The American Legion Auxiliary sends shipments to our troops over seas in Afghanistan and Iraq. All items can be dropped off in the beautiful wooden box located next to the Honor MIA table. A cash donation box is located to the right of it (see photo above).
It cost quite a bit to ship items, so any donations would be greatly appreciated. Each box costs approximately $16 to send.
Please make checks payable to the American Legion Auxiliary and reference “Iraq/Afghanistan Troop packages.” Thank you.
♦Personal Use Items♦
Baby Wipes (no scent), Pillows (Travel size w/case), Light Throws, Bug Repellent, Air Freshener (non-aerosol), Deodorant, Camp Showers, Boot Powder, Boot Insoles, Mouth Wash, Floss, Shampoo, Green, Grey or Black Socks/T-shirts, Soap, Nail Clippers, Cold Medicine, Hand Mirrors, Lotion, Boot Laces, Chapstick,Toothpaste, Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Razors/shaving cream. NO aerosol cans are safe to ship.
Please no hotel toiletries--we have had problem with leaking which makes the food taste a little odd.
Please no books or magazines--too heavy to ship. Thanks!
Flashlights, Map pens, Pens/pencils, Postage Stamps, playing cards, Frisbees, greeting cards, small games, word search, cross word puzzles. NO batteries are safe to ship.
Coffee packs (instant), Coffee, Creamer, Power bars, beef jerky, sausage sticks, trail mix, sunflower seeds, cookies, crackers, licorice, small popcorn packets, pop-top canned fruit, nuts, candy (not meltables), just-add-water soup, hot sauce/salsa, snack foods, Can tuna/crab/salmon/shrimp/oysters,Powdered Gatorade/Kool Aid/ Crystal light
♦Don't forget the K9 Troops--woof♦
Dry dog food, Dog Snacks, Dog Toys, Pet Shampoo
Pork and pork by-products, Bulk religious material contrary to Islam Obscene materials, nude/semi-nude magazines (ie: Playboy), Drugs/Alcohol Weapons/Ammo/Firearms/Lighters, Cigars, Perishables items/Foods that will melt, Aerosol cans, batteries. Any personal information such as SSN, Legal Documents, etc.
Guidelines for ALA Unit 291 Troop Shipping:
The following guidelines will apply to ALA Unit 291 Troop Shipping to ensure:
- Only authorized items are packed by volunteers on the day of the Troop Shipping event will qualify for shipping by the ALA Unit 291.
- All items that are subject to leaking are packed appropriately to avoid damaging of goods.
- No business advertisements are included in the ALA Unit 291 Troop Shipping boxes.
- All boxes are packed to capacity to maximize the cost of shipping.
In order to accomplish these guidelines the following will apply to ALA Unit 291 Troop Shipping:
- All donated Troop Shipping items will be delivered to the AL Post 291.
- Donated items will be accepted up to the day of the Troop Shipping event.
- No advertising business cards and/or circulars, for the sole purpose of marketing a product or service, will be included in any boxes.
- All items to be shipped, will be packed and inspected for quality assurance, by ALA Unit 291 volunteers the day of the event.
- ALA Unit 291 will solicit Blue Star families to receive Troop Shipping boxes. If there is a surplus of items received by ALA Unit 291 compared to the Blue Star military names received, those items will be donated to either Camp Pendleton or the MAFB Deployment Center.
- Organizations/businesses wishing to donate to Troops overseas or waiting to be deployed who do not participate in the ALA Unit 291 Troop Shipping event, will be referred to Camp Pendleton in Oceanside or the MAFB Deployment Center in Riverside.